Friday, December 9, 2011

A Quick Tasty Bite

I've always been a huge broccoli fan, even as a child. I was that strange kid in the lunch line who always asked for 2nd of the mushy cheesy broccoli thing. My mom is the one who actually got me on to eating it this way.

Not having much experience with balsamic vinegar, I was a little leery at first. The smells coming from the over that first time were very pungent but not necessarily in a bad way. Can't get more simple recipe-wise though.

What you need:

Fresh broccoli florets--enough to cover a baking sheet of your choosing
Balsamic vinegar (or balsamic vinaigrette)
A wee bit o' oil (omit the oil if you're going with vinaigrette)

(Sorry I don't have precise measurements on the amounts of vinegar and oil. Just enough to give the broccoli a nice coating.)

What you need to do:

Just mix together the oil and vinegar and lightly toss the broccoli in it to coat them and spread them out on a baking sheet. I'll even go so far as to drizzle a little of the excess over the broccoli but that's up to you and how much baked on balsamic vinegar you really want to scrub off the sheet pan when you're done.



Bake them in the oven for 10-20 minutes or until you achieve your desired degree of broccoli done-ness. I like mine pretty tender.

Voila! Balsamic broccoli!

I'm sure it can be used as a nice side dish if desired but the first time Mom and I made them together they didn't make it to dinner! We were just popping them by hand off the baking sheet! The balsamic adds a sweet and tangy taste to the broccoli and I like the contrast. Baking the broccoli allows it to achieve a different texture.

Because of the inconsistencies in broccoli floret sizes in a fresh broccoli head, the smallers often get very well done. I almost like them better! It's a very small concentrated burst of tartness and chewiness.

Give this recipe a try if you dare!

1 comment: